About the API integration testing process

Hi! I’m a student in a software architecture course and writing essays about Theia. Currently I’m learning about Theia’s API integration testing process, but I don’t understand the part “tests are executed within the application process ensuring their speed and robustness”. What’s the meaning of “tests are executed within the application process” and how can this ensure the speed? Could someone give some explanations? Thank you in advance! :grinning:

@Hynn01 thank you for the discussion.

I’m sure you’ve seen the api-testing documentation already which includes high-level documentation of the overall idea, and perhaps the corresponding issue.

…tests are executed within the application process ensuring their speed and robustness

The integration tests allow us to use actual APIs and events and not against CSS or DOM. This means that tests are more robust, easier to write and maintain and reflect the actual performance of the application (not selenium having to query the DOM for instance).

…tests are executed within the application process

The integration tests are executed in an actual theia application (allowing us to use the framework’s APIs) and not in a separate process like Selenium. Again this gives a better representation of real-world performance.

Overall previous efforts of automated browser tests were hard to develop, maintain, were slow and were difficult to add proper integration tests.

2 Likes