Building theia.exe

I want tk build a executable file of theia I am using theia apps to this. How is this different from the electeon example that theia has and what does the electron example do and what does this do??

[original thread by Arijit265]

[Arijit265]

I mean there is a doubt too and I want to know the process to9

[Arijit265]

And yes in the theia apps what are the uses of theia python, theia ruby,theia swift??

[Arijit265]

And does theia electron support all languages that theia does if no then how can i build an exe that supports all the languages that theia does

You can specify different windows targets, creating an installer for your Electron application.

The theia-apps repository contains both docker images and electron applications for different languages (almost as examples of how to create applications for a specific language). For instance, theia-python is an image which describes the necessary toolchains and extensions required for a good IDE experience when working with Python.

Theia supports VS Code extensions which will provide language support. Custom language extensions are soon to be deprecated and should not be used.

[Arijit265]

So to build it where shoulf i start I mean first I have to build the electron example right then build that right??

[Arijit265]

Then how should I build tge electron example into pc .exe i mean how to link it to electron sdk and then build it

[Arijit265]

And after building theia I can use those VS code extensions right?

If you’d like to try an example electron application, you can either build the main repository and run the command yarn start:electron, or you can try out the example from theia-apps.

You can place the extensions you want in a folder as .vsix files, and reference the folder when starting the application, like:

For Electron specific questions please look at their documentation/community, I’m no expert :slight_smile:

[Arijit265]

And after building the theia electeon example I need to write yarn start to make an .exe or yarn package

If you want to try the example-electron from the main repository, only a build and start is possible, the mechanisms to package the application and create the installer are not in place. However, the example from theia-apps is using electron-builder and it is possible to create the installer from it when running the commands yarn then yarn package. It is described in the appropriate readme.

[Arijit265]

Yes yes I know that but does the does the example in theia apps support all the languages that the electron examplr supports and if not then how to add more

[Arijit265]

And I tried building the theia apps one and yarn is taking to much time in building fresh packages.

[Arijit265]

I also editted some things in package.json

Looking at the package.json will tell you what is being pulled and used:

You can add extensions in the package.json, for example:

[Arijit265]

Oh thanks

[Arijit265]

I wilk try and tell the result

[Arijit265]

Whats the difference between writing versions " ^0.14" and “next” in dev dependencies

0.14 is released version, next is nightly build from master

[Arijit265]

So I shouod add 0.14 in thr apps