Editor Performance is slow after upgraded

Hi Theia Gurus,

I am using Theia editor inside Google Cloud Shell and they recently upgraded to theia-for-cloud-shell 1.4.0 and the performance dropped when my program file has more than 600 lines.

Every key i typed have to wait like 0.5 seconds, which is very annoying. I tried to create a blank type script and i don’t have that issue. Is there any option i could turn off/on to resolve the slowness?

@caseyflynn-google Maybe you could help @weilies?

i have also raise a ticket
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/170235650

Hi @weilies,

Excuse my lack of related knowledge about Google Cloud Shell. Can you confirm if the problem you report happens in the Theia application provided by Google - by default a web terminal, but possible to open a more complete Theia application if wanted?

Or does it happen in a Theia-based application of your own, that you build/deploy/run in the Google cloud?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Also i got feedback from google issue tracker, that i should seek help from Theia
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/170235650#comment2

If they mentioned contacting the community for support, I’d suggest attempting to reproduce the problem with vanilla Theia (upstream). One thing I noticed in your screenshot is the bug produced by the editor-preview extension, you might want to turn this preference off and it might help:

"editor.enablePreview": false

If it does not help, I suggest trying to identify a reproducible example and open a corresponding issue upstream: https://github.com/eclipse-theia/theia/issues

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

How to reproduce it as my current issue is happened in my GCP cloud shell

I wanted to confirm the issue is with the framework, or the GCP Cloud Shell.
If it cannot be reproduced on master then I’m not sure the community can be of much help, and the issue should instead be resolved by the actual product.

1 Like

in the first place i couldn’t understand the statement above. Coz i have little knowledge in source control and theia editor. I thought i can just sign in GCP > turn on the editor and just code right away.

When you say re-produce does it mean i have to linux machine and install theia IDE in my localhost?

in the first place i couldn’t understand the statement above. Coz i have little knowledge in source control and theia editor. I thought i can just sign in GCP > turn on the editor and just code right away.

When you say re-produce does it mean i have to linux machine and install theia IDE in my localhost?

Perhaps a little bit of background information would be useful.

Theia is a framework to build cloud and desktop IDE-like application which GCP among other products are based on. I’m not familiar with GCP as I’ve never used before but I’d like to identify if the issue is with the framework or the product itself. The product for example can extends the framework and customize it to suit their needs as well as provide their own extensions to implement additional features. The way the product is deployed can also influence it’s performance (for instance if runs on a shared server, or runs out of file handles).

When I referenced if the bug can be reproduced on master this is to identify if the issue is in the framework itself. This can be achieved by building the example applications present in the Theia framework repository and trying to test a similar use-case.

Without confirming if the bug occurs on master (the framework itself), it’s difficult for the community to help as we do not know GCP, how it is customized, it’s internals or how it is deployed.

It is similar to the previously posted question on GCP: Google Cloud Shell's Theia IDE upgrade.

i completely agree that. What’s annoyed me is, they shouldn’t claim ‘wont fix’ as i reported to Google Issue Tracker …170235650
note: for some strange reason i couldn’t post link to Google Issue Tracker

The developer who introduce feature on top of Theia into GCP Cloud Shell should at least look into or simulate my issue. :frowning: