Electron E2E tests strategy with playwright

Hello,

We would like to know what is the strategy from ES in the coming months for testing electron app ?
Should we consider that E2E tests executed on browser app is sufficient to validate everything will work correctly also with the electron theia app ?

Thank you

@seddik-st thank you for the discussion :+1:

We would like to know what is the strategy from ES in the coming months for testing electron app ?

As far as I am aware there are no official plans to improve/enhance playwright for Electron in the upcoming months. It is possible things may change in the future but I believe the idea at the moment is to re-use what you can, and create your own E2E tests as needed (docs).

Should we consider that E2E tests executed on browser app is sufficient to validate everything will work correctly also with the electron theia app

That really comes down to you and your product and if you’re comfortable performing E2E tests on the browser.
I think also testing in Electron will always be important on it’s own.

cc @JonasHelming @planger perhaps you have more to add, I know we get questions regarding Playwright and Electron fairly often.

Hi,

thank you for raising this question! Did I see correctly in the other thread that you were able to successfully run Playwright tests on Electron now? It would be actually ideal to run them on both platforms. We currently only run on the browser versions in production.
We should discuss if and what we can support from the Theia PoV on this. I will get back to you on this!

Best regards,
Jonas