Electron example never finishes loading

Hello everybody,

in my example I tried to update version of electron to 18.0.2 and now all I can see is the loading screen and console print is as following and finishes with “[7072:0407/081820.052:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(446)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is disabled, ANGLE is”:

PS C:\HIGHTEC\Development\IDE\theia-ide-core\electron-app> yarn start
yarn run v1.22.15
$ theia start
WARNING: C:\HIGHTEC\Development\IDE\theia-ide-core\electron-app\package.json does not have a “main” entry.
Please add the following line:
“main”: “src-gen/frontend/electron-main.js”
root INFO Configuration directory URI: ‘file:///c%3A/Users/Michal%20K%C5%99%C3%ADstek/.theia’
root INFO Backend Object.initialize: 15.3 ms [Finished 1.281 s after backend start]
root INFO Backend Object.configure: 13.5 ms [Finished 1.281 s after backend start]
root INFO Backend MessagingContribution.onStart: 1.8 ms [Finished 1.281 s after backend start]
root INFO Backend LocalizationBackendContribution.configure: 0.6 ms [Finished 1.306 s after backend start]
root INFO Backend LocalizationBackendContribution.initialize: 24.5 ms [Finished 1.306 s after backend start]
root INFO Backend ElectronTokenBackendContribution.configure: 0.1 ms [Finished 1.306 s after backend start]
root INFO Backend NodeFileUploadService.configure: 4.9 ms [Finished 1.311 s after backend start]
root INFO Backend FileDownloadEndpoint.configure: 1.4 ms [Finished 1.314 s after backend start]
root INFO Theia app listening on http://localhost:50308.
root WARN Backend DefaultWorkspaceServer.onStart took longer than the expected maximum 50 milliseconds: 2297.3 ms [Finished 3.603 s after backend start]
root INFO Finished starting backend application: 0.0 ms [Finished 3.603 s after backend start]
[7072:0407/081820.052:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(446)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is disabled, ANGLE is

With electron version 15.3.5 it worked. Am I missing some new dependency or something?

Thank you

@CrixOv thank you for the discussion, the currently supported electron version for the framework is v15:

Upgrading the version of electron is never trivial, and will likely require additional changes in the framework to support the higher version.

1 Like

Thank you for the information :slight_smile: