How to include Monaco Editor in div?

Hi,

I am creating a Theia extension, in this I have a view where I need to include Monaco editor as input in the form. Purpose is to provide end-user a complete editing experience backed by LSP instead of plain input textbox.

What I have done till now -
vscode-extension for language support is created , language client & server is getting initiated by this .
My Language support is working on standalone file editor.

What is required now is to be able to open the Monaco editor on the fly & using it as a input in the form.
Some of the use cases where we require this functionality in Theia - To edit label of nodes in diagram editor , inside newly introduced property view , form based editor etc.

What could be the best approach of achieving this ?

I found createInline method from Theia monaco Contribution -

Can this be used ?

Adding more details -

I have tried embedding it in my GLSP based editor on diagram nodes labels using below logic .Monaco editor gets embedded & also opening up on label editing , but editor features like content assist , error highlighting etc. are not working .

Code -

export class MonacoEditorWidget {
@inject(MonacoEditorProvider)
protected readonly editorProvider: MonacoEditorProvider;

//embedding code
protected createInputElement() {
const uri = new URI(“inmemory:/model.xtree”);
const options={
autoSizing: true,
minHeight: 1,
maxHeight: 10
};
this.editorProvider.createInline(uri,this.containerElement,options);
}

Please suggest what I am missing here ?
Please also suggest if there is any other better way of achieving it ?

It’s hard to tell what’s missing without the rest of your code, but you can check the Output implementation in Theia. The Output view is also wrapping a Monaco editor with its custom model and editor factory for it.

Hi @kittaakos,

This is the only code that I have written for the purpose of embedding the editor , rest of the code is related to GLSP & language contribution .
As in this case I do not have file but a in-memory string to edit therefore I am using the URI - "inmemory:/model.xtree” while creating monaco editor object. I was hoping that Theia language client will be able to understand this URI & connect the editor with LSP server, similar to monaco-languageclient which was being used in earlier version of Theia. But I guess some extra glue code is required to make it work.

Sure , I will check Output extension implementation but Output view is read only so it would be lacking completion , error highlighting support .
Are you suggesting me to create a custom implementation of editor model similar to debug & output extension as Theia language client is not able to understand the “inmemory” URI scheme ? Anything else that I would need to customize apart from this to enable LSP features on my embedded editor ?

Please let me know if my understanding is correct , thanks !!!

Does it already work (content assist, diagnostics, etc) in Theia? Can you open your model (with the inmemory:/model.xtree URI) in a regular editor in Theia? If so, I believe the only thing you need is a custom way to attach the editor to the desired DOM element so that it does not go through the EditorManager. Here is an example:

Yes , Content assist , diagnostics etc. is working on regular file based editor -

On embedded editor it does not work -

Here I am creating monaco editor inline on the fly when label edit event of the node is fired in the diagram editor.

inmemory:/model.xtree URI is not pointing to any actual resource , this is the dummy URI which I am using only for the purpose of creating the inline/embedded editor. I want embedded monaco editor to work on in-memory strings . I basically want a expression editor from which I can get & set the expression. In a simple terms , I am building a reusable widget which will look similar to TextArea but with LSP support to assist end-user in writing the expression .
Like any other form control (input,dropdown etc.) I will use this widget in my views of other extensions as well.

Hope this provides better understanding of my use-case.

Hi @kittaakos,

I have registered the inmemory scheme with Language Client -

const clientOptions: LanguageClientOptions = {

documentSelector: [{ scheme: 'file', language: 'xtree'},{ scheme: 'inmemory', language: 'xtree'}],

};

languageClient = new LanguageClient ('xTreeLanguageClient', 'XTree Language Server', serverOptions, clientOptions);

Now I am able to get hit on “provideCompletionItems” method in “https://github.com/eclipse-theia/theia/blob/master/packages/plugin-ext/src/plugin/languages/completion.ts”. As no document is attached to my inmemory URI so it is getting returned from the method without generating any completions.

How can I get around this?