Theia build error

Hello there, I’m trying to build an theia cloud IDE (it’s the same package.json that is here https://theia-ide.org/docs/composing_applications/ ) but I keep getting these errors, can you help me? I’ll send the cmd output but there are a lot more of the same error.
Thank you in advance
WARNING in ./node_modules/inversify/lib/annotation/decorator_utils.js
Module Warning (from ./node_modules/source-map-loader/dist/cjs.js):
Failed to parse source map from ‘…\node_modules\inversify\src\annotation\decorator_utils.ts’ file: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘…\node_modules\inversify\src\annotation\decorator_utils.ts’
@ ./node_modules/inversify/lib/inversify.js 38:24-63
@ ./src-gen/frontend/index.js 5:22-42

WARNING in ./node_modules/inversify/lib/annotation/inject.js
Failed to parse source map from ‘…\node_modules\inversify\src\annotation\inject.ts’ file: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘…\node_modules\inversify\src\annotation\inject.ts’
@ ./node_modules/inversify/lib/inversify.js 21:15-45

WARNING in ./node_modules/inversify/lib/annotation/injectable.js
Failed to parse source map from ‘…\node_modules\inversify\src\annotation\injectable.ts’ file: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘…\node_modules\inversify\src\annotation\injectable.ts’
@ ./node_modules/inversify/lib/inversify.js 15:19-53

this happens after the yarn theia build command.

@dratz08 thank you for the discussion and welcome to the community :+1:

I built both examples referenced under composing applications and it was successful. Can you confirm if you satisfied the prerequisites? It is also possible it is an intermittent error, can you try again and include the error log if the build issue persists? (you can try a fresh build removing all files and folders except the package.json).

@vince-fugnitto thanks a lot, glad to be here! I’ve checked again all the prerequisites: node v12.14.1; yarn v1.22.5 and git v2.31.1.windows.1
It seems like this isn’t the issue. Initially I was trying to build through cmd but then I changed to gitbash (as adm), but keep getting the same errors. And also I can’t find the error log anywhere. Isn’t it supposed to be on the folder the package.json is ? The only feedback that Im recieving is the one that I wrote on the original post. Another thing, I’ve created this foder inside the Documents folder of my computer, but I’ve also tried to do it inside the theia folder, but again, same errors

Can you try the following (any parent location on your filesystem, ex: ‘Desktop’):

• mkdir theia-custom (create the application root folder)
  • cd theia-custom (move into the application root folder)
  • npm init -y (creates a package.json file for you) - the package.json file represents the application.
  • copy and paste the following content into your package.json file:
{
  "private": true,
  "dependencies": {
    "@theia/callhierarchy": "latest",
    "@theia/file-search": "latest",
    "@theia/git": "latest",
    "@theia/markers": "latest",
    "@theia/messages": "latest",
    "@theia/mini-browser": "latest",
    "@theia/navigator": "latest",
    "@theia/outline-view": "latest",
    "@theia/plugin-ext-vscode": "latest",
    "@theia/preferences": "latest",
    "@theia/preview": "latest",
    "@theia/search-in-workspace": "latest",
    "@theia/terminal": "latest"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "@theia/cli": "latest"
  }
}
  • perform yarn (installs dependencies)
  • perform yarn theia build (builds the application)
  • perform yarn theia start (starts the application)

With these steps highlighted I believe everything should work and the project structure will be correct.

I’ve done all the steps but keep getting the same errors

@dratz08 can you try pushing your application to a github repository?
I’ll check it out and confirm if it builds for me.

the application is exactly the same as the theia example here https://theia-ide.org/docs/composing_applications#consuming-vs-code-extensions
I didnt add any new features. I want to, but I need to have the simplest one built first and then start to add new features. To be honest, I can start the application but I don’t think it’s the proper way to do it since I keep getting this errors after the build

@dratz08 I was under the impression the build failed for you (like in the title of the post). They are simply warnings and not errors regarding source maps for inversify which the dependency likely does not publish. If the build passes and starts I don’t think there is anything incorrect.

hmm, my mistake then, I could’ve expressed better. But the thing is, there were also a lot of warnings when the process was finished and since those were in yellow and the ones that I showed were red I figured they were real errors and not warnings. Thanks a lot!!