Theia docker VSIX extension

I can’t quite get my head around how to install a VSIX extension in my docker container running theia.

Container is very similar to the theiaide/theia-full one.
I read this https://github.com/theia-ide/theia/wiki/Testing-VS-Code-extensions but i dont really understand where to put my .vsix file.

What does “create plugins folder under Theia repo folder” actually mean? Where am i suppose to create this plugins folder?

I tried putting it in /home/theia/plugins and /root/.theia/plugins to no avail.
What am i missing?

Thanks in advance

[original thread by roflcoopter]

[dehru]

You need to set an environment var named THEIA_DEFAULT_PLUGINS that points to the folder

[roflcoopter]

Pointed it towards /home/theia/plugins but then i get this error No plugin resolver found for the entry

[dehru]

Do you have the packages plugin, plugin-ext, and plugin-vscode-ext?

[dehru]

(I’m kinda new to this, but I did get mine to work)

[roflcoopter]

Yes I have all three of them. I’m just getting started to so i appreciate all the help i can get!

[roflcoopter]

Did you just download the extension from VSCode marketplace and put that directly into your plugins folder?

wiki explains how to test VS Code extension again master state of Theia

not how to run in it in docker

please have a look at theiaIde/theia-go:next image

it shows how vscode extension can be installed in docker container

donwload happens on postinstall

in image you point to this directory:

i hope it helps

[roflcoopter]

It works!
I added this in my package.json

"scripts": {
        "postinstall": "download-debug-adapters"
    },
    "adapterDir": "plugins",
    "adapters": {
        "vscode-home-assistant": "https://keesschollaart.gallery.vsassets.io/_apis/..."
    }

Is the postinstall script suppose to be download-debug-adapters even tho this extension has nothing to do with debugging?

@roflcoopter I think you’re right - that the script’s name could reflect better what it does. It probably just follows a pattern we first(or last) used to download debug adapters.

Is the postinstall script suppose to be download-debug-adapters even tho this extension has nothing to do with debugging?

yes, we need something better :slight_smile: it was just easy to reuse