Theia integration

Hi there, I’m trying to buid an theia IDE that could support the robotframework language. To do it so looks easy with the vscode extensions but I can’t find a way to debug or run the script that I wrote on the theia examples (also tried with the docker container images). I would like to know if anyone knows how to proper configure the debug/run button to do it so. I’ve tried to copy some vscode configurations to attach and launch but none of them seem to work. Do I need to add some other dependency or something like that to my package.json and build it again to make this integration or is there a debug/run configuration that would work?

@dratz08 if you’re looking to support vscode extensions you can use the following example ([consuming vscode extensions])(https://theia-ide.org/docs/composing_applications/#consuming-vs-code-extensions) and include your robotframework extension (and potentially others) as part of the application.

I’m not sure I fully understand the point regarding the script you have, is it a debug launch configuration you’d like to be included?

yes! I’ve already included the robotframework extension through .vsix file in the plugins part of the package.json. But I still have some problems regarding its implementation. First of all, when I start the application I got the message: Activating extension ‘Robot Framework Language Server’ failed: The language client requires VS Code version ^1.52.0 but received version 1.50.0. Any ideas how I can fix this? I don’t know exactly where I can change the vscode version used to build the application.
And going back to the debug problem, I’m looking for a way to debug .robot files on my customized IDE, without having to install the extension like if it was the vscode itself. To summarize, I’m trying to create an IDE able to run .robot files as a built-in feature (without having to install anything after built) if that makes any sense.

just another thing to add, I also, with the configuration that I’m using, can’t even open the debug configurations on my IDE, aslo would like to know how to enable this feature. I’ll add here the package.json to better comprehension
{
“private”: true,
“dependencies”: {
@theia/callhierarchy”: “next”,
@theia/file-search”: “next”,
@theia/git”: “next”,
@theia/markers”: “next”,
@theia/messages”: “next”,
@theia/mini-browser”: “next”,
@theia/navigator”: “next”,
@theia/outline-view”: “next”,
@theia/plugin-ext-vscode”: “next”,
@theia/preferences”: “next”,
@theia/preview”: “next”,
@theia/search-in-workspace”: “next”,
@theia/terminal”: “next”,
@theia/debug”: “next”,
@theia/task”: “next”
},
“devDependencies”: {
@theia/cli”: “next”
},
“scripts”: {
“prepare”: “yarn run clean && yarn build && yarn run download:plugins”,
“clean”: “theia clean”,
“build”: “theia build --mode development”,
“start”: “theia start --plugins=local-dir:plugins”,
“download:plugins”: “theia download:plugins”
},
“theiaPluginsDir”: “plugins”,
“theiaPlugins”: {
“vscode-builtin-css”: “https://open-vsx.org/api/vscode/css/1.52.0/file/vscode.css-1.52.0.vsix”,
“vscode-builtin-html”: …/html/1.52.0/file/vscode.html-1.52.0.vsix",
“vscode-builtin-javascript”: “…/javascript/1.52.0/file/vscode.javascript-1.52.0.vsix”,
“vscode-builtin-json”: “…/json/1.52.0/file/vscode.json-1.52.0.vsix”,
“vscode-builtin-markdown”: “…/markdown/1.52.0/file/vscode.markdown-1.52.0.vsix”,
“vscode-builtin-npm”: “…/npm/1.52.0/file/vscode.npm-1.52.0.vsix”,
“vscode-builtin-scss”: “…/scss/1.52.0/file/vscode.scss-1.52.0.vsix”,
“vscode-builtin-typescript”: “…/typescript/1.52.0/file/vscode.typescript-1.52.0.vsix”,
“vscode-builtin-typescript-language-features”: “…/typescript-language-features/1.52.0/file/vscode.typescript-language-features-1.52.0.vsix”,
“vscode-builtin-robotframework”: “…/robocorp/robotframework-lsp/0.18.0/file/robocorp.robotframework-lsp-0.18.0.vsix”
}
}

@dratz08

I got the message: Activating extension ‘Robot Framework Language Server’ failed: The language client requires VS Code version ^1.52.0 but received version 1.50.0. Any ideas how I can fix this?

You should use a version which is compatible with the framework, meaning one that defines an engines.vscode which is compatible with 1.50.0. Else you can bump the version yourself when starting the application with the command line flag (--vscode-api-version={version}) but there is a higher chance of unsupported APIs.

can’t even open the debug configurations on my IDE

Not sure what you’re referring to, do you not see the debug-view as part of the application?
Debug launch configurations are the same as in vscode ({workspace}/.theia/launch.json or {workspace}/.vscode/launch.json).

this part right here helped a lot, with this I was able to run my script through the IDE. dont know if this solves all problems but for now, thanks a lot!!!