Theia user: cannot open directory '.': Permission denied

Hi,

i deployed the theia-python and theia-php in a centos server and works fine (i see they use the root user), but when i deploy the theia-full (that uses the theia user) i cant see the files in the files navigatorpanel

i deploy theia with “myuser” user on centos, and i open a terminal and execute the command ls to list the current dir (/home/myuserfolder) and i got the error:

ls: cannot open directory '.': Permission denied

i try to add the theia user in centos and added to this new user, the group of myuser, because the folder /home/myuserfolder is owned by myuser:myuser, but the problem continue

what can i do to allow the theia-full docker deploy, see the files in /home/myuserfolder ?

when i exec sudo ls, i can see the files in terminal, but i cant open or i continue without see the files in the navigatorpanel

this is the output when i open a terminal and exec ls:

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

theia@ef664e407628:/home/myuserfolder$ whoami 
theia

theia@ef664e407628:/home/myuserfolder$ ls
ls: cannot open directory '.': Permission denied

By default the theia docker images are set up with the theia user, so if you create files/folders owned by another user, the theia user can’t access them. You’ll have to build a custom docker image that uses myuser instead of theia as the default user.

but the theia-python and theia-php use the root user.

How can i build a custom docker image with the user that i want.

Or why this not works if i added the theia user on centos and give the permissions to the myuserfolder?

@juanremi You can look at the Dockerfile for any of the theia images and make changes from there. If you’re not familiar with how docker images are built, I recommend following a tutorial first, as there is a slight learning curve.