Vscode python extension on jupyter notebooks

I have added the vscode python extension as a plugin so that I can work on jupyter notebooks.
Issue 1: In vscode, clicking on a .ipynb file once loads up the file in notebook format. In theia, clicking on a .ipynb file once loads the file in a JSON format. I have to double click the .ipynb file in order to load the notebook format.
Issue 2: Images are not loaded on the notebooks.

[original thread by Nicholas Han]

[Nicholas Han]

Issue 1

[Nicholas Han]

[Nicholas Han]

Issue 2

[Nicholas Han]

[Nicholas Han]

Someone has to debug. You can file an issue if there is no already one.

[Nicholas Han]

Issue 1 was mentioned here.
https://github.com/eclipse-theia/theia/issues/7111 and it was fixed here https://github.com/eclipse-theia/theia/pull/7110. How do i implement these fixes in my code?

There is no mention of issue 2. I’ll file an issue

Sorry, I don’t understand the issue 1. Could you elaborate please?

@nicholasl00 About the fix for issue 1: it was merged ~2 weeks ago and has not been released yet. So if your app uses latest Theia components, you do not yet have the fix. We plan to release Theia 0.16.0 today, but it may need to be postponed if GitHub issues do not subside (see post on release on Spectrum for details).

update: 0.16.0 released.

[Nicholas Han]

That clears things up. Thank you !

[Nicholas Han]

@marc-dumais my app uses ‘latest’ theia components in package.json. However issue 1 still persists after running yarn. What am i doing wrong here ?

@nicholasl00 is your yarn.lock perhaps punning an older version of the extensions?

[Nicholas Han]

here is my yarn.lock file , https://github.com/nicholasl00/theia-switch-workspace/blob/master/yarn.lock

so delete the yarn.lock file and run yarn again ?

Indeed, it looks like your yarn.lock pins Theia to the previous version: 0.15.0. You can delete it or maybe run yarn upgrade.

[Nicholas Han]

[Nicholas Han]

I tried running yarn upgrade but the python plugin does not covert the .ipynb file.

Then I deleted the yarn.lock, followed by yarn, yarn rebuild:browser and yarn run start --plugins and Theia seems to be loading forever

If you look at your devtools I suspect you are having the following error: https://github.com/eclipse-theia/theia/issues/7248. It is caused by including the following extensions in your application (which have been deprecated and removed (latest)): https://github.com/nicholasl00/theia-switch-workspace/blob/3bfcd075b05b1e5b6bd2336a1447e4026ba4513a/browser-app/package.json#L17-L18

[Nicholas Han]

here is the updated yarn lock file https://github.com/nicholasl00/theia-switch-workspace/blob/master/yarn.lock