Windows build stuck after python 2.7 installation

I am following this docs to install theia on my local windows machine using package.json, in the pre-requisites, it is required to install windows build tools.

But when i try installing windows build tools, it gets stuck after python 2.7 installation, any workaround for this.

There are seven installation methods listed here https://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2019/09/25/how-to-launch-eclipse-theia/amp/#option%201
I am following the option 1, is there any better alternative approach to install theia on windows

My goal is to install theia and build an extension for it.

Hi , I had also faced the issue, I installed python3 first before running the build-essential command

use https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3100/
Regards,
Abhishek

1 Like

But i already have python 3 installed

I believe you are using scoop? theia/Developing.md at master · eclipse-theia/theia (github.com)

1 Like

Yes

I am able to reproduce your problem, but I can still create a theia-extension using the below instructions

npm install -g yo generator-theia-extension
mkdir theia-hello-world-extension
cd theia-hello-world-extension
yo theia-extension # select the 'Hello World' option and complete the prompts
1 Like

I cloned theia and then cd into it
when I run yarn command I get the following error

MSBUILD : error MSB1009: Project file does not exist.
Switch: build/binding.sln
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: `C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\MSBuild.exe` failed with exit code: 1
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.onExit (C:\Windows\System32\theia\node_modules\electron-rebuild\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\build.js:194:23)
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:315:20)
gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:275:12)
gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.18362
gyp ERR! command "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node.exe" "C:\\Windows\\System32\\theia\\node_modules\\electron-rebuild\\node_modules\\node-gyp\\bin\\node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd C:\Windows\system32\theia\node_modules\native-keymap

this is the error that I got

@iam_abd038 it looks like you are cloning directly into System32 which is a bad practice as the folder is a critical part of the windows operating system. Can you try the same procedure on a personal path instead?

The following issue may prove useful as well:

1 Like

Thank you very much :pray: