Writing a built in extension

Hi all,

Apologies this is my first post and I am sure it is something which had been asked before…

I am looking at writing an extension to provide some functionality for theia as requested in an enhancement. I have been paying with getting this up and running but can’t seem to get it working.

I have used the yeoman generator to create an extension which is great, I know I can run that up in the provided browser app that yo generates, but how do I get that incorporated into the master theia Packages folder? I thought just dropping it in would work but it doesn’t… Is there some voodoo magic required or am I going about this the wrong way?

[original thread by sauny]

Hi :slight_smile: I assume you want to add your custom extension with the rest of Theia? You can look at how IDEs are made with Theia and include your extension there in the package.json. If your extension is not yet published to npm, you can refer to it with a path instead.

[sauny]

Thanks Vince… How does theia load the extensions when it starts up? None of the built in extensions are listed in package.JSON (https://github.com/theia-ide/theia/blob/master/package.json)

[sauny]

I assumed dropping something into the packages directory would automatically get picked up and loaded

In the main repo we have two example application, one is the browser and one is electron. If you look at their package.json respectfully you’ll see the extensions.

[sauny]

Ahh that makes sense…my mistake, sorry for the dumb question